Ingredients for Dutch Baby
4 tablespoons salted butter
4 large Green Field Farms eggs
2/3 cup whole non-homogenized Green Field Farms milk
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit with a 10in to 12in cast-iron or other oven-safe skillet on the center rack. Put 2 tablespoons of the butter in the skillet to melt. (Do not leave the pan in the oven longer than 10 minutes)
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, salt and cooled melted butter. Pulse for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the batter is smooth. Make sure there are no lumps of flour remaining. Remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour in the batter. Return the skillet to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the pancake is fully puffed and browned on the top. Do not open the oven during the first 15 minutes of cooking or your pancake might deflate. (You can begin to make the Apple pecan filling below while Dutch baby is cooking)
- Remove the Dutch baby from the oven and serve with the filling and homemade whipped cream below.
*This Dutch baby Recipe base was provided by Tieghan Gerard in the Half Baked Harvest Cookbook.*
Ingredients for Caramelized, Apple Pecan filling
3 large whole apples (we used pink lady)
4-5 tablespoons salted butter
1/2 cup of Green Field Farms maple syrup
2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped salted pecans
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Once butter is melted, add the chopped, salted pecans. Coat pecans in butter and then drizzle about 1/4 cup of the maple syrup over them. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon over the pecans. Cook over medium/low heat, only until the maple syrup starts to caramelize the pecans (3-5 minutes or so). Do not over cook the pecans. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Remove core from apples and thinly slice. Use the same skillet that you caramelized your pecans in to melt the remaining 2-3 Tablespoons of butter. Once the butter is melted, add the sliced apples and coat in butter before drizzling the remaining 1/4 cup of maple syrup. Sprinkle apples with 1-2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon. Cook the apples over medium heat until they start to caramelize and soften (about 8 to 10 minutes)
Ingredients for whipped cream
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place a metal mixing bowl in the freezer for about 10 minutes
- Add heavy cream, sugar and vanilla to chilled mixing bowl and beat with mixer until stiff peaks form.
How to Serve your Dutch baby:
Add caramelized apples to the inside of your Dutch baby and sprinkle with caramelized pecans. Dollop whipped cream on top and dust the whole thing with confectioner’s sugar.